First Edition Summer Module on Economics and Institutions in Europe will take place in Trento (Italy), 12-16 September 2022
European Integration and the Variety of Capitalism Paradigm
SMEIE, Summer Modules in Economics and Institutions, is a three-years initiative of the research group "Economics and Institutions in Europe", of the Department of Economics and Management (DEM) of the University of Trento. The initiative is funded by the European Commission (European Education and Culture Executive Agency) Erasmus+ Jean Monnet Action, jointly with the Trento Jean Monnet Centre and DEM.
SMEIE aims at becoming an international reference point for scholars, doctoral and post-doctoral researchers focused on the thematic innovation of variety as a factor of greater strength in the European integration process, with a view to:
- generate knowledge and insights that can support EU policy-making and bolster the role of the EU in a globalized world;
- help understanding and communicating the value of economic and institutional diversity as a fundamental step in the integration process, thus reinforcing the European institutional construction;
- stimulate participants to make EU policy makers sensitive to new relevant policy tools;
- allow students to interact on a continuous basis among them and with the lecturers.
The Summer Module has an international dimension and includes multiple activities: keynote lectures, lectures, panel sessions, group activities.
Specific themes covered by the Summer Module 2022:
- Frontiers of comparative and institutional economics
- Comparing economic structures and models across Europe
- Applied methods for comparative studies
- European integration and varieties of national models
- Institutional design of European integration
- László Csaba: Central European University and Corvinus University of Budapest, Hungary
- Amandine Crespy: Institut d'Etudes Européennes Université libre de Bruxelles, Belgium
- Enrico Spolaore: Seth Merrin Chair and Professor of Economics, Department of Economics, Tufts University, Medford, MA USA
Roberto Basile: Department of Industrial and Information Engineering and Economics, University of L'Aquila, Italy.
Massimo Bordignon: Catholic University of Milan, Italy, and European Fiscal Board, Brussels, Belgium.
Filippo Di Mauro, Competitiveness Research Network (CompNet), and National University of Singapore.
Ugo Pagano: former President of the Santa Chiara Doctoral School, University of Siena, Italy.
Simona Piattoni: Department of Sociology and Social Research, University of Trento, Italy.
Caroline de La Porte: Department of International Economics, Government and Business, Copenhagen Business School, Denmark.
Admission requirements: applicants should be regularly enrolled in a PhD programme or be young post-doc researchers. Applicants are required to upload their updated CV, a research synopsis (up to 500 words) presenting and motivating the research agenda they intend to work on and present while attending the Summer School. The Applicant should also clarify how the research agenda is linked with the theme of the Summer Module.
Costs: there are no fees connected to the application to SMEIE.
All-inclusive accommodation. The selected students will be hosted free of charge in the venue of the Summer Module, Villa s. Ignazio (Trento, Italy), inclusive of accommodation in a double room, and three meals per day.
Travel. The selected students will have to organize the trip to and from Trento and pay the travel costs by their own. We invite the applicant to book the trip only after the Organizers communicated the official confirmation of admission.
Application procedure: Application window is now closed. Check this page to keep infomed about the new edition 2023.
For this year the scientific committee of the Summer Module selected 15 PhD students and young post-doc researchers.
The Organizers will provide all admitted Candidates with an official participation certificate at the end of the Summer Module.
Scientific Committee: Roberto Tamborini (Summer Module coordinator), Sara Casagrande, Bruno Dallago, Lucio Gobbi, Klaudijo Klaser, Maria Luigia Segnana, Ermanno Tortia, Nadia von Jacobi.
For any enquiry on the Summer Module please contact: email@example.com